January 25, 2014

A Valentine's Day Dessert

Vanilla Crepes with A Chai Cream Cheese Filling 


I think by now it's safe to say that the only food I'll ever blog about is unhealthy, desserts. 
We eat really healthy in our house, but when it comes to desserts everything goes out the window. 
Josh is always asking me to bake something - and I, along with my sweet tooth, always oblige. 
He had been asking for crepes for awhile but I kept putting them off because they take a little bit of time to make.
Since Valentine's Day is coming up (also, my favorite holiday! So much pink and hearts and love!) I thought I would start documenting all of the fun foods and decorations that go along with it!
My house is always completely over-decorated for this silly holiday.


For the crepes I always use this Martha Stewart recipe. 
The only difference is that I add 1/4 cup of Powdered Sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla.

Chai Crepe Filling:
This was the first time I had made a Chai filling for the crepes. 
Usually I just make a vanilla cream cheese filling, but Josh has recently (I know!) discovered that he loves the flavor of anything Chai so I surprised him. 

What You Need:
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 ounces softened cream cheese 
- 1/1.5 cups powdered sugar (more or less - you just want the filling to be thick)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons of Chai concentrate 
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar

In a large mixing bowl cream together all of the ingredients. 
The filling should be thick.
If it's a little too soft and liquid-y, just add more powdered sugar until it starts to thicken. 

After the crepes are completely cooled down, use a knife to spread the filling onto the crepe and roll it up tight. 
You can also just put a big spoonful in the middle and fold up the sides, but it's so much easier for Viv to eat when it's rolled up tight. 
My filling ended up being a little watery, so I drizzled it over the whole pile of crepes too. 
Ugh, all of the sugar kind of kills me, but it's only a once-in-a-while treat so...I guess I can justify it! 

I boiled down some strawberries so that I had a lot of juice and let it cool in the fridge until I was finished and drizzled the strawberry juices on top.

The Chai flavor is subtle.
It actually reminds me of what a Chai Cheesecake would taste like! 
Oh...hmm...maybe that will be my next dessert! 

Enjoy! 


2 comments: