September 19, 2013

Parenting: Babywearing


So, over the next few weeks/months I'm going to do a little series about parenting. 
I'm definitely no expert, and I don't think I ever will be, so everything I say is really just my personal take on how I (and my husband) parent and raise our kids. 
I'll be touching on a whole slew of subjects including: co-sleeping, extended breastfeeding, meals and baby foods, scheduling, "toddler-schooling", discipline and other personal parenting things. 

We really parent from the heart.
Some people think we're crazy.
Some people are on the same page.
And other people just couldn't care less.

Anyway, I decided to start out this series light and simple and begin with babywearing!



When Viv was born I didn't really wear her much at all. 
We had a Mody Wrap and an Ergo carrier but I didn't like either of them very much and it always just seemed easier to carry her. 
Shortly before Penny was born I did a lot of research into "babywearing" and all the different types of carriers out there. 
I knew that I would have my hands full with two little ones and I needed to get into the whole wearing my kid thing so that I could get things done. 
So after doing a lot of research and talking to a lot of friends I decided to go with a ring sling since I didn't care for the wrap or the hard carrier. 
When Penny was born I was gifted a Sakura Bloom sling and it was the best decision I've made!

It was the easiest to get used to and my newborn baby LOVED it. 
Viv was only 16 months old when Penny was born and so I didn't get a break at all. 
From the moment we came home from the hospital it was back to real life with a toddler. 
Being able to curl Penny up all cozy in the sling was like a dream.
I could still give my attention to Viv, while still being able to keep my new baby as close to me as possible. 
I never had to let Penny cry while I was busy taking care of Viv and I loved that.

Now that Penny is a few months old and a little bit more stable, wearing her has become even more fun. 
Where ever we go I'm able to just pull my sling out of my purse, throw it on, and carry her around - no stroller, no hassle. 
She's big enough that she can hold her head up and just look at me and look around at the world - she plays with my hair and touches my face - there's just so much love!

When I'm in the grocery store, I don't have to carry a bulky car seat around and have it take up all the space in my cart.
When she's teething I don't have to lay her down in her bassinet and cry while I take care of Viv.
If she's cranky or tired and I'm making meals, giving Viv a bath, or sweeping the floors she doesn't have to cry and I don't have to not get anything done. 

It's amazing how such a simple thing as a sling can be so life-changing and wonderful. 
I feel so bonded to my little girl when she's close to, looking into my eyes. 
As she gets older she's going to want to be more independent and not want me to be so close to her all the time. 
These early months are so special and pass so quickly. 
I'm so thankful for these close bonding times and all the love between my sweet little lady and I. 




I am in no way affiliated with Sakura Bloom...just a product that I LOVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment